The first time that I stayed at this hotel I liked it a lot because I got a clean, big room, for a great price. I also liked the staff a lot. This second time, they put in another room that was very humid, and had a smell of mold so bad that I had to use my asthma inhaler because the mold was affecting my lungs. The room was so humid that the main towels were damp. I didn't noticed the mold smell at first because I just checked in and took my bags to the room and left. Also, when I got the room all the windows were open, I guess to disguise the strong smell of mold. That night when I got back, as soon as I opened my room's door I smelled the strong sense of mold. I couldn't change rooms because the staff was gone by that time. I asked the staff to change me to another room which they happily complied. I requested the room that I got the first time that I stayed there, which I enjoyed. I suggested the manager to fix that room since in the US is very serious matter to rent a room that has mold. The manager said that I'm the first guest that complains of the mold smell. I have asthma, so I can tell immediately when a place has mold. The rest of the staff was very friendly and kind as always...nothing to complain there.